Charter Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Monday, 5 December 2005

Gift exchange is the reason for the season

Posted on 16:00 by Unknown
December is upon us once again. This means that along with pulling out the tangled string of lights and rusty tetanus-ridden ornament hooks, we wrestle with age-old holiday traditions. Some of them survive from year to year because we enjoy them. Others we observe but secretly wish they would disappear and find their way to the closet of the Ghost of Christmas Past next to the Yule log and door-to-door carolers.

One of these less desirable traditions for me is the office gift exchange, where there are suggested minimums and maximums for the dollar amount to be spent. Many times we purchase things for people we don't even like, or worse yet, grab some holiday recyclable from the “gift drawer”. If I'm told what I can and can’t spend on someone I only see at the water cooler, is this really a gift or is it just another checkmark on my to-do list? I have enough in my inbox without having to worry about buying something for the corporate brownnoser or the coworker who insists on being a chatty Charlie in the men’s room.

I'm not certain where holiday gift giving came from, but I'd guess it dates back to the wise men who brought gifts to Mary and Joseph. These guys showed up with frankincense and myrrh. If that’s not the ultimate re-gifter I don’t know what is. Were these wise men or just wiseacres? What smartass would bring scented herbs to a baby shower? Hopefully one of them had the courtesy to bring a receipt for Christ’s sake. Not that it would do the Holy Mother any good. You know those camel cruisers got that from some store in Persia, so unless it was from an international chain the Blessed Virgin doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of taking it back for a refund.

If you are reading this and contemplating getting me a gift for Christmas, consider this permission not to. If you are contemplating getting me a baby shower gift, just remember: swaddling clothes—yes; potpourri—no.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • AAA child's passport photo
    Meryl and I set out today to the nearest AAA office in order to get her photo taken for a passport. Sure, passport photos can be acquired j...
  • Search for interesting blogs yields few results
    I recently have begun dedicating a portion of my work day to checking out other people's blogs. This is because until recently I suffere...
  • Gwinnett County aquatic center lap swim farce
    Twice now my daughter in all her infinite cuteness and I were turned away from a Gwinnett County recreational swimming pool. Why? Not beca...
  • Expelling Harry Potter from Gwinnett County schools does not help children
    This morning I awoke to a news story that just about made me want to upchuck yesterday's lunch in a way that only Linda Blair could env...
  • Cursed (two syllables) email
    Have you ever stopped to think about the hefty price we pay for having an email address? I'm not talking about having to sort through th...
  • Nanaonwales screwed me over
    More on this later.
  • Standing eggs on end for the vernal equinox
    Well begosh and begorra! Another truth falls the way of myth. Before getting to the bulk of what I want to say, let me preface by stating th...
  • Help Laverne Help Cory's Closet!
    Sometimes a guest blogger is better than an extended hiatus, especially when the guest blogger supports a worthy cause. Without further ado...
  • Georgia governor praying for rain?
    I had vowed to myself that I would try and make my blog more uplifting from now on and not be such a Negative Nelson. I will revisit that id...
  • Seven windows to my soul
    Though dates had little meaning to me then it must have been September of 1977 that my mother registered me for kindergarten class. As I re...

Categories

  • addiction
  • anger
  • call center
  • charter
  • charter sucks
  • compulsive disorders
  • crazian
  • ebay
  • foot shavers
  • haircut cancer
  • huzzah
  • junk mail
  • kindermusik
  • language
  • mei lan
  • negative banter philosophy
  • pandas
  • parenting
  • recipe
  • retaliatory feedback
  • sidewalk baby footprints
  • stay at home dad
  • tax refund
  • teaching
  • theater
  • things that suck
  • tooth
  • vonage
  • wine
  • zoo atlanta

Blog Archive

  • ►  2008 (42)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2007 (47)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (9)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2006 (78)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ▼  2005 (27)
    • ▼  December (5)
      • Auld Lang Sinuses
      • Brush with scamsters in Bushnell, Florida
      • Making the most of down time at work
      • Expando pants mean comfort and haute couture
      • Gift exchange is the reason for the season
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile