Charter Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 18 March 2008

Pass the Grand Duchy on the left-hand side

Posted on 15:44 by Unknown
Barring the Vatican, Luxembourg is the tiniest country I've visited so far. My wife and I arrived there after roughly two and a half hours of driving having started our route on Avenue de Franklin Roosevelt leading out of Gent in Belgium and eventually snaking along the E411 leading to the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg. Much like the invitations motorists find when entering Switzerland, Monaco or other small European countries, Luxembourg greets new arrivals with billboards advertising tax shelter opportunities and anonymous banking. Beyond the billboards we found ourselves in the nation's capital city, also called Luxembourg, or as we say in our kinda talk Luxembourg.

Getting there was half the fun as I recall which was good because Elaine and I didn't spend more than an afternoon in the country. We got out of the car and explored the main park before wandering around in the shops downtown. Luxembourg and especially Luxembourg City is a moneyed part of the planet. We were without child at the time but even still Elaine was quick to find a children's clothing store and pick out pricey garments for the baby that we might possibly someday maybe have. As it turned out the store was part of a European chain called Natalys. Clothes are available for purchase on the internet, but we've yet to place an order. I talked her into foregoing the expense and instead use the money to take in a late lunch.

Our waiter, who commuted from France everyday in order to report to work, spoke with us about the benefits of living in one country and working in the other. His English was far superior to most Frenchmen of his ilk and he was most friendly. He would constantly confuse the English verbs earn and win though, so listening to his story was at times like listening to someone read a Mad Lib. My wife hung on his every word, but I think it was his shoulder length greasy hair and Gallic nose that she liked most. So impressed was she with our server that he brought her out of her English-only cocoon. When he asked us if we wanted anything else, she said confidently, "de l'eau s'il vous plait."

I don't know if she really wanted water so much as she wanted a youthful swarthy guy to do her bidding.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • AAA child's passport photo
    Meryl and I set out today to the nearest AAA office in order to get her photo taken for a passport. Sure, passport photos can be acquired j...
  • cocktailswithkevin is closing its doors . . . kinda
    Well, not exactly. Basically I've just come to the conclusion that forking out $80 a year to have my own domain name just ain't wort...
  • Search for interesting blogs yields few results
    I recently have begun dedicating a portion of my work day to checking out other people's blogs. This is because until recently I suffere...
  • Gwinnett County aquatic center lap swim farce
    Twice now my daughter in all her infinite cuteness and I were turned away from a Gwinnett County recreational swimming pool. Why? Not beca...
  • Georgia governor praying for rain?
    I had vowed to myself that I would try and make my blog more uplifting from now on and not be such a Negative Nelson. I will revisit that id...
  • Please don't wear sweatpants out of the house
    Remember that old adage about not leaving home without wearing clean underwear? The fear was that if you got into a car crash and the parame...
  • Expelling Harry Potter from Gwinnett County schools does not help children
    This morning I awoke to a news story that just about made me want to upchuck yesterday's lunch in a way that only Linda Blair could env...
  • Charter sucks
    Note: This entry has been updated as of March 31, 2007. The amended text is to be found at the bottom of the screen. Dear Charter Communicat...
  • Making the most of down time at work
    Today a glitch in the inner-workings of our comany's phone system crippled my work productivity. Some of my coworkers relish these times...
  • Cursed (two syllables) email
    Have you ever stopped to think about the hefty price we pay for having an email address? I'm not talking about having to sort through th...

Categories

  • addiction
  • anger
  • call center
  • charter
  • charter sucks
  • compulsive disorders
  • crazian
  • ebay
  • foot shavers
  • haircut cancer
  • huzzah
  • junk mail
  • kindermusik
  • language
  • mei lan
  • negative banter philosophy
  • pandas
  • parenting
  • recipe
  • retaliatory feedback
  • sidewalk baby footprints
  • stay at home dad
  • tax refund
  • teaching
  • theater
  • things that suck
  • tooth
  • vonage
  • wine
  • zoo atlanta

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2008 (42)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ▼  March (10)
      • Me so holy
      • Pyramid peddlers be gone
      • Bootleg blog template
      • Pass the Grand Duchy on the left-hand side
      • Grace Jones: one sexy sexagenarian
      • An open letter to my daughter
      • Cincinnati, a city of sliders and slide-offs
      • Phone frenzy
      • From Naples to Atlanta: fame and infamy along I-75
      • My toddler lost a tooth
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2007 (47)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (9)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2006 (78)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2005 (27)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile