Charter Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Saturday, 21 January 2006

No more cell phone

Posted on 17:41 by Unknown
If the one with the most toys wins, I'm one step closer to the agony of defeat. I recently gave up my cell phone. I know to some youngsters this may seem equally as horrible as selling one's kidney, but for those of us over the age of thirty, we realize that a personal phone number is a luxury that dates back only to the early 2000s. In fact, it wasn't much before that that obtaining a phone in one's own bedroom was viewed a considerable right of passage. Even then, kids who shared a line with other family members often had to interrupt their phone conversations with such coarse phrases as I'm on the phone, or I got it, or I SAID I'm on the phone. Those with older or self-important siblings sometimes might hear What part of "on the phone" don't you understand? Those were the golden years.

As a real estate agent, I felt a constant obligation to answer my ringing cell phone. After all, the caller might be a buyer or a seller, or better yet, a buyer who wanted to buy from a seller. Maybe he was a millionaire and therefore all the more profitable a client. The millionaire never manifested, but I did once get a buyer who ended up buying from a seller. And while I got several profitable calls from real estate clients over the past few years, most of my calls were from non-selling family, friends or the vet who simply wanted to confirm my dog's boarding appointment. Worse yet were the calls I received from friends who called only to pass the time while stuck in traffic. These pointless conversations were sprinkled with the caller firing otherwise unheard insults to fellow motorists, a play-by-play of where they were, and the occasional inquiry as to what I was doing. Have you ever realized that when someone on the phone asks what you're doing, what they mean to ask is what you were doing before they interrupted you with an untimely phone call?

I don't miss the cell phone. I'm usually all about gadgetry. At times I would have a palm pilot, a Realtor key and a cell phone all in one pocket. If I needed to take pictures of something, I'd also carry a digital camera. No more. Stuff equals stress. And stuff that makes you accountable to the rest of the world equals more stress. If people want me, they'll find me. And if they don't find me, the world won't stop turning.

I need to go. Must check email.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • Cursed (two syllables) email
    Have you ever stopped to think about the hefty price we pay for having an email address? I'm not talking about having to sort through th...
  • AAA child's passport photo
    Meryl and I set out today to the nearest AAA office in order to get her photo taken for a passport. Sure, passport photos can be acquired j...
  • Gwinnett County aquatic center lap swim farce
    Twice now my daughter in all her infinite cuteness and I were turned away from a Gwinnett County recreational swimming pool. Why? Not beca...
  • Adult novelties vs. frozen treats
    I was pushing a cart through the grocery store this afternoon when it dawned on me that we use the same term for ice cream that we do for se...
  • Expelling Harry Potter from Gwinnett County schools does not help children
    This morning I awoke to a news story that just about made me want to upchuck yesterday's lunch in a way that only Linda Blair could env...
  • Nanaonwales screwed me over
    More on this later.
  • Standing eggs on end for the vernal equinox
    Well begosh and begorra! Another truth falls the way of myth. Before getting to the bulk of what I want to say, let me preface by stating th...
  • Call center etiquette
    For my handy dandy All American guide to getting what you want from a call center, click here. Words on any particular topic about which I...
  • Help Laverne Help Cory's Closet!
    Sometimes a guest blogger is better than an extended hiatus, especially when the guest blogger supports a worthy cause. Without further ado...
  • Georgia governor praying for rain?
    I had vowed to myself that I would try and make my blog more uplifting from now on and not be such a Negative Nelson. I will revisit that id...

Categories

  • addiction
  • anger
  • call center
  • charter
  • charter sucks
  • compulsive disorders
  • crazian
  • ebay
  • foot shavers
  • haircut cancer
  • huzzah
  • junk mail
  • kindermusik
  • language
  • mei lan
  • negative banter philosophy
  • pandas
  • parenting
  • recipe
  • retaliatory feedback
  • sidewalk baby footprints
  • stay at home dad
  • tax refund
  • teaching
  • theater
  • things that suck
  • tooth
  • vonage
  • wine
  • zoo atlanta

Blog Archive

  • ►  2008 (42)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2007 (47)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (9)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ▼  2006 (78)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ▼  January (5)
      • Wait time in doctor's waiting room tops one hour
      • No more cell phone
      • I'm a freak; you're a freak
      • Editorial apology
      • Wish list for my kid
  • ►  2005 (27)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile