Charter Tech Support

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Truth be told

Posted on 12:07 by Unknown

Time is a precious thing when I've a kid who's sleeping and I've doubled my teaching schedule on top of that, but I'll make this brief. In response to which of my previous claims listed here was not 100% true, I'll preclude with this:

In Steve Martin's book, Shopgirl, the main character whose name is Mirabelle has a theory on lying that for whatever reason I think has merit. She says that in order for a lie to be effective it must have at least a certain minutiae of truth to it and it must also be embarrassing to tell. Each prerequisite serves its own purpose. A lie that has a certain element of truth to is easier to tell convincingly, and a lie that was somewhat embarrasing for the teller to tell is less likely to lead to having to answer further questions that, if answered wrong, might uncover the lie being told.

It is true that I do not wear underwear, but it is not true that I don't own a pair of button fly jeans. I do in fact own a single pair of button flies which makes the last statement untrue. Such is the beauty of the coordinating conjunction. Sneaky little devil.

In response to the few family members and lone googler who responded, the statements about driving the police car and chatting with the priest in the confessional were in fact true. My sister was quick to point out a typo on my part about the police car already running and the cop tossing me the keys. I'll be honest. I don't remember which part of that was true. Was the police cruiser already running when I jumped in, or did the cop toss me the keys to crank it? I can't remember. I would have corrected the discrepancy in my writing were I to have detected it first, but since it was already pointed out, I thought shame on me; I'll just leave it.

As to chatting with the priest, again that was 100% true. My wife and I were in Prague on vacation. He caught me snapping flash photography in the cathedral which is one of the no-no's though he didn't say so and I admired him for indirectly correcting my errant behavior by instead simply engaging me in conversation. He asked me what my religious background was, and I told him I was not Catholic but that my wife was. Apparently, wven as a non-native English speaker, he saw through this non-answer and asked me again what my religion was. When I confessed that I was without religion, Father Petr was quick to share that he felt the message of Jesus Christ was intended for all people because Jesus was the Prince of Peace. When i returned from Prague, I sent Father Petr and email stating that I had cancer and that my wife was in the cathedral that day lighting a candle for me to which he responded:

Thanks !

Praying for your healing.

Fr. Peter

Five months later after undergoing chemotherapy I wrote to Father Petr again updating him on my condition and thanking him for his prayers and kind words. He replied with these kind words. Now, I don't normally make personal emails public, but I think his message is one that would benefit others and therefore should be shared.

Dear Kevin,   I wish you a strong health, all the best for your common life, and the great gift to have a grateful heart in all moments of your life, even those less nice ones.   May the Little Jesus, the Prince of Peace, bless and protect you all!

Father Petr
Monastery of the Infant Jesus of Prague


Even four years later rereading his email makes me a little teary-eyed. I was a stranger he didn't know from Adam. Being the head abbot at what many vacationers see as a common tourist attraction and many Catholics see as a miracle site, he likely encounters thousands of people each day. Surely his in-box is overflowing, but he took the time and energy to write back to me, someone who lives a third of the way around the planet, and in a foreign language no less. I think that says a lot about him and his vocation.

Father Petr's commander-in-chief faces much criticism as he pays his first papal visit to the United States, one of which is that he hasn't done enough to evangelize and bring more sheep to the flock. I'm not Catholic so it's not really my place to make that criticism, but I would dare say that if he's trying to up his numbers, he should consider putting Father Petr in charge of the Programming and Outreach Department. Not only that but Father Petr gets my vote for sainthood.

No lie.
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • AAA child's passport photo
    Meryl and I set out today to the nearest AAA office in order to get her photo taken for a passport. Sure, passport photos can be acquired j...
  • cocktailswithkevin is closing its doors . . . kinda
    Well, not exactly. Basically I've just come to the conclusion that forking out $80 a year to have my own domain name just ain't wort...
  • Search for interesting blogs yields few results
    I recently have begun dedicating a portion of my work day to checking out other people's blogs. This is because until recently I suffere...
  • Gwinnett County aquatic center lap swim farce
    Twice now my daughter in all her infinite cuteness and I were turned away from a Gwinnett County recreational swimming pool. Why? Not beca...
  • Georgia governor praying for rain?
    I had vowed to myself that I would try and make my blog more uplifting from now on and not be such a Negative Nelson. I will revisit that id...
  • Expelling Harry Potter from Gwinnett County schools does not help children
    This morning I awoke to a news story that just about made me want to upchuck yesterday's lunch in a way that only Linda Blair could env...
  • Charter sucks
    Note: This entry has been updated as of March 31, 2007. The amended text is to be found at the bottom of the screen. Dear Charter Communicat...
  • Making the most of down time at work
    Today a glitch in the inner-workings of our comany's phone system crippled my work productivity. Some of my coworkers relish these times...
  • Cursed (two syllables) email
    Have you ever stopped to think about the hefty price we pay for having an email address? I'm not talking about having to sort through th...
  • Mindless banter with a political twist
    Today I had to request that a college transcript go to a potential employer. While it ended up costing me $10 on a credit card which sucks,...

Categories

  • addiction
  • anger
  • call center
  • charter
  • charter sucks
  • compulsive disorders
  • crazian
  • ebay
  • foot shavers
  • haircut cancer
  • huzzah
  • junk mail
  • kindermusik
  • language
  • mei lan
  • negative banter philosophy
  • pandas
  • parenting
  • recipe
  • retaliatory feedback
  • sidewalk baby footprints
  • stay at home dad
  • tax refund
  • teaching
  • theater
  • things that suck
  • tooth
  • vonage
  • wine
  • zoo atlanta

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2008 (42)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ▼  April (5)
      • Seven windows to my soul
      • I'll teach you
      • Truth be told
      • Will the real Kevin please stand up?
      • Uncovering the ultra high price of a Subway sandwich
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ►  2007 (47)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (9)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (3)
    • ►  May (2)
    • ►  April (3)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (3)
    • ►  January (3)
  • ►  2006 (78)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (5)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (10)
    • ►  July (8)
    • ►  June (8)
    • ►  May (10)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (5)
  • ►  2005 (27)
    • ►  December (5)
    • ►  November (8)
    • ►  October (3)
    • ►  September (2)
    • ►  August (9)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile